We have all read various articles and news stories which talk about how bad a sedentary lifestyle is for us, and how it isn’t just linked to multiple health and physical problems like lower back ache, cardiovascular diseases etc. but it can also lead to premature death as well.
People who exercise but still have a sedentary lifestyle i.e. spending 8 hours a day sitting on the same chair, are not exempted from health risks either. So, this is why a lot of offices are now investing in standing desks in order to tackle this problem. However, it is important to consider the pros and cons before you make your decision.
- First of all, sitting for hours on end has been showed to eventually lead to lower back pain, since you are standing while working when you use a standing desk, you do not put that kind of pressure on your lower back, saving you from that problem.
- Standing actually burns more calories than sitting, so you get that going for you.
- You are also less likely to gain weight if you work standing rather than working while you are sitting.
- According to the rebound effect, you should be more energetic after standing since your body releases an extra boost of energy to keep you up and running.
- Since you are standing the entire time, you are putting a lot of pressure on your feet, this in turn, can causes foot pain, and even swelling of the varicose veins.
- When it comes to more analytical task, it is recommended to do them while sitting since your concentration is better than compared to standing. It is necessary to strike a balance between sitting and standing during your office hours in order to reap maximum benefits, this is where a sit stand desk comes in, since it incorporates both.